Conference session: Monday 21st June 11:00 CEST. Join this session to explore an integrated framework placing the seed sector within food system transformation
This session has taken place. A recording will be shared on this website in due course.
The GSST Africa conference combines a moment where we conclude ISSD programmes in Ethiopia and Uganda, and foster interactions within the Community of Practice of ISSD Africa. It can also be seen as a momentum to bring lessons learnt and prepare for the UN Food Systems Summit and its subsequent implementation.
We should realize that in 2021 also other relevant global summits are held relating to CBD, UNFCC and Nutrition. We approach the UNFSS as summit that links food security and nutrition directly to larger socio-economic processes relating to inclusion, equality and justice, and to the larger environmental context with all its dimensions of climate change, natural resource and ecosystem management, biodiversity conservation and use.
In this session, we share an integrated framework in which the seed sector is placed within a larger context of food system transformation, thus contributing to food & nutrition security, socio-economic and environmental outcomes.
We do that by taking a historic approach addressing formal/informal seed systems, ways to use ISSD as framework and its guiding principles as perspective in fostering innovation in different systems, and the use of the sector framework guiding strategic development.
Panellists share experiences in ISSD Ethiopia, ISSD Uganda, ISSD Africa and CSP Nigeria and place these within the larger food system framework.
Speakers (pending confirmation)
- Dr. Walter de Boef, Senior Advisor Seed Systems, Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation (WCDI)
- Dr. Marja Thijssen, Senior Advisor Seed Systems, Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation (WCDI)
- Patrick Oyee, Chief of Party, ISSD Uganda
- Dr. Peter Gildemacher, Head of Sustainable Economic Development & Gender, Royal Tropical Institute (KIT)
- Falaq Tidjani, Senior Manager, Sahel Consulting Agriculture and Nutrition