ISSD Africa works to address key bottlenecks preventing African seed sectors reaching their potential. We are a community of practice; a coalition of global organisations which identifies, explores and promotes innovations to enable sustainable and inclusive seed sector transformation.
In our collective efforts, we work to deliver vibrant, pluralistic and market-oriented seed systems that support and protect smallholder seed producers and farmers, while stimulating professionalisation, dynamic competition and international seed business. Find more information on our guiding principles in this video.
Watch the topic video’s and learn about priority themes for seed sector development in Africa, as defined by our Community or Practice.
Who are we?
Community of Practice
As a Community of Practice, ISSD Africa aims to increase effectiveness of the seed sector at a continental and national level. By transforming the seed sector we aim to increase farmers’ access to high quality seed of improved varieties. ISSD Africa unites practitioners that collectively have the capacity to explore, experiment with and ultimately overcome complex challenges in seed sector development.
About ISSD Africa
Lack of access to quality seed is one of the most pressing issues hindering productivity increase in Africa. ISSD Africa (established in 2012) is an international community of practice, guiding seed sector innovation and development on the African continent to alleviate the problem of limited access to quality seed. Addressing complex seed sector challenges of continental importance will result in better performing seed sectors with increased access to quality seed, of varieties that farmers prefer. This will have a positive impact on food and nutritional security and on farmer income.
ISSD Africa aims to:
- become a true community of practice with visibility for all contributing partners, a strong sharing of responsibilities among international and African partners, strengthened African ownership and diversification of funding and leadership
- be the initiator, facilitator and communicator of learning about effective seed sector intervention, management and policies in Africa
- offer a simple and easy to access and use website for seed sector professionals with the ambition to realise seed sector innovation in Africa, to ensure inclusive access to quality seed of farmer- and consumer-desired varieties
- provide the structure to co-create, experiment, learn and exchange how to address complex seed sector challenges, with a focus on seed sector innovation in Africa
- ensure that the latest insights and expertise on seed sector development are available to governments, projects and programmes intervening to improve access to quality seed.
Sustainable Development Goals
ISSD Africa contributes to the following SDGs: