Invest in seed sector innovation for improving access to quality seed
We are looking for new partners to invest in our Community of Practice, and be part of ISSD Africa’s future.
Be quick: our deadline for new partnerships closes 15 April 2019.
As we feel ISSD Africa is of enormous importance to enhance smallholders access to seed of their choice, we’ve decided to contribute a maximum of 50% of the budget for 2019-2021: 1.6 million Euro. On one condition: that other development partners pledge at least similar significant support.
Christina Blank, Programme Manager, Global Programme Food Security, Swiss Development and Cooperation Agency
Watch the topic video’s and learn about priority themes for seed sector development in Africa, as defined by our Community or Practice.
Who are we?
Community of Practice
As a Community of Practice, ISSD Africa aims to increase effectiveness of the seed sector at a continental and national level. By transforming the seed sector we aim to increase farmers’ access to high quality seed of improved varieties. ISSD Africa unites practitioners that collectively have the capacity to explore, experiment with and ultimately overcome complex challenges in seed sector development.
About ISSD Africa
Lack of access to quality seed is one of the most pressing issues hindering productivity increase in Africa. ISSD Africa (established in 2012) is an international community of practice, guiding seed sector innovation and development on the African continent to alleviate the problem of limited access to quality seed. Addressing complex seed sector challenges of continental importance will result in better performing seed sectors with increased access to quality seed, of varieties that farmers prefer. This will have a positive impact on food and nutritional security and on farmer income.
ISSD Africa aims to:
- become a true community of practice with visibility for all contributing partners, a strong sharing of responsibilities among international and African partners, strengthened African ownership and diversification of funding and leadership
- be the initiator, facilitator and communicator of learning about effective seed sector intervention, management and policies in Africa
- offer a simple and easy to access and use website for seed sector professionals with the ambition to realise seed sector innovation in Africa, to ensure inclusive access to quality seed of farmer- and consumer-desired varieties
- provide the structure to co-create, experiment, learn and exchange how to address complex seed sector challenges, with a focus on seed sector innovation in Africa
- ensure that the latest insights and expertise on seed sector development are available to governments, projects and programmes intervening to improve access to quality seed.
Sustainable Development Goals
ISSD contributes to the following SDG’s:
Join us and invest!