Conference session: Tuesday 22nd June 14:00. Join this session and help shape a tool to improve analysis and intereventions in seed sectors in fragile states.
This session has taken place. A recording will be shared on this website in due course.
Seed systems in fragile states differ from those in more stable environments and offer unique opportunities and challenges. In order to deliver effective support services in conflict settings, humanitarian agencies, donors and other stakeholders need to understand these differences, as well as how to address them with context-appropriate interventions.
The Mercy Corps-led ISSD Africa Action Learning Topic, Developing the Seed Sector in Fragile States, aims to deepen understanding of seed systems challenges and opportunities in fragile states and identify practical seed interventions entry points for humanitarian agencies, donors and other stakeholders.
As part of these activities, ISSD Africa is currently developing a context analysis tool (CAT) to help stakeholders understand 1) how conflict dynamics affect seed systems and 2) how to prioritize seed interventions to jointly and effectively improve seed systems functioning and peacebuilding efforts.
This session will explore the draft CAT tool soliciting input from a panel of experts with experience in seed systems, conflict analysis and practical implementation, and will discuss the most robust and most disproportionally affected elements of seed systems in fragile states, as well as potential ways of supporting peacebuilding efforts through improving seed systems programming in fragile states.
- Discuss unique seed sector challenges in fragile contexts and the need for context analysis
- Share a draft context analysis tool designed help prioritise seed interventions to jointly and effectively improve seed systems in fragile environments
- Seek feedback on the relevance of the tool and its practical utility – especially methodology, questions and scope
Speakers (pending confirmation)
- Andrea Mottram (PhD), Director – Agriculture Systems, Mercy Corps
- Wilfred Ouko, Program Advisor, Mercy Corps and ISSD Africa Topic Lead
- Ted Holmquist, Senior Advisor – Peace and Conflict, Mercy Corps
- Louise Sperling, Research Director, SeedSystem
- Joseph Ubek, Innovation fund Manager – Rural Resilience Activity, Mercy Corps
- Laki Gideon, Country MEL Manager, Mercy Corps South Sudan