Conference session: Tuesday 22 June 16:00 CEST. Join this session to hear how the One CGIAR reformation process will nurture and promote the conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources for present and future generations.
This session has taken place. A recording will be shared on this website in due course.
CGIAR is currently in a dynamic process of reformulation in relation to its partnerships, knowledge, assets, and global presence with the aim of having its scientific innovations deployed faster, at a larger scale, and at reduced cost, achieving greater impact where it is needed most.
What does this mean for CGIAR research-for-development initiatives on seed systems, considering the contribution of seed systems to food systems, through a diversity of crops/plants, trees, forages, livestock and fish, for a diversity of users, across a diversity of geographies? Seed can be considered as a vehicle for transfer of new technology, a commodity for trade and business, and a carrier of valuable genetic resources.
In this context, what are the innovations and business models needed, and how to promote the conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources for present and future generations. What is are the roles of CGIAR and partners in relation to the three CGIAR action areas of genetic innovation, resilient agrifood systems and systems transformation? In this session a panel of CGIAR scientists will discuss these issues.
- Raise awareness on the CGIAR reformulation process, and the way seed systems are part of the three CGIAR action areas of GI, RAFS and ST
- Position seed systems in the wider context of food systems, but also land and water systems
- Highlight the importance of seed systems of a diversity of crops/plants, trees, forages, livestock and fish, for a diversity of users, across a diversity of geographies
- Discuss opportunities for new innovations, business models and partnerships to increase the impact of CGIAR seed systems research-for-development
Speakers (pending confirmation)
Dr. Marja Thijssen, Senior Advisor Seed Systems, Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation
- Dr. David Spielman, Senior Research Fellow, Development Strategy & Governance Division, IFPRI
- Dr. Ian Barker, Director, Global Potato Agri-Food System Programme, CIP
- Dr. Carlo Fada, Director Research, Alliance Bioversity and CIAT
- Dr. Alessandra Galie, Team Leader Gender, International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Prepare for the session