Webinar: Transforming seed marketing – lessons from ethiopia
Watch the recording of the webinar and learn how evidence-based policy options enabled a transformation of seed marketing in Ethiopia.
When: This webinar took place on Wednesday November 25th.
Having shifted from centralised seed supply to a growing system of direct seed marketing (DSM), the ways in which farmers hear about and access quality seed are unrecognisable from just a decade ago.
During the webinar, you will hear different perspectives on this transformation: the Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA), the CGIAR Research Program on Policies, Institutions, and Markets (PIM) led by IFPRI, and from the Integrated Seed Sector Development Programme in Ethiopia (ISSD Ethiopia). These perspectives will chart innovations from piloting to scaling and embedding, with key learning on the types and roles of coalitions in the journey.
The session will explore the changes in mindset needed to bring about such reform and how to bring about such change in other contexts outside of Ethiopia. An interactive panel discussion will follow-up on key short presentations, assessing on-the-ground impacts.
- Dr. Dawit Alemu, Chair of the National Seed Advisory Group and Manager of the Bilateral Ethiopia Netherlands Effort on Food Income and Trade (BENEFIT)
- Dr. Yitbarek Semeane, Director for Inputs and Crop Protection at the Agricultural Transformation Authority (ATA)
- Dr. Dawit Mekonnen, Research Fellow at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in the Environment and Production Technology Division.
- Dr. David Spielman, Senior Research Fellow/Program Leader-Rwanda at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Dr. Mohammed Hassena, Deputy Manager for the Integrated Seed Sector Development Programme in Ethiopia (ISSD Ethiopia)